1.21.2013

Women's Bible Study Devotional


I feel like I'm cheating here, because I actually wrote this for a different purpose. But it just fits here, so I'm posting it. 



John Chapter 17

When I first read through this chapter, after a few times, it made me think of the movie ‘My Life’ with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. I’ve never watched that movie, because I’m a coward, but I know the premise from the trailers that were out at the time. This man is dying, his wife is pregnant, so he gets the idea to record videos of himself so his child will get to know him and his wishes for said child. 

In a way, Jesus’ prayer here is like that movie. 

In fact, He says in verse 13 “...but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.”  

He speaks the prayer out loud for us - the disciples listening at the time, and for those who will “come to believe in (Him) through their message.” That’s us. 

Nice, tidy example right? 

Well, if we were dealing with just some GUY- like Michael Keaton - then it would be. 

But after I had that example all worked out in my mind, I realized it was wrong. 

This is the Creator we are dealing with here. When He speaks, whole universes come into existence.

What He prays here aren’t the wishes of a human father for some offspring he will never know. 

These are the words of our Creator; creating once again.  Creating for us a future filled with things we will read “So that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.”  

Any Downton Abbey fans here?

I know, I watch too many movies - but in my defense - I never actually watched My Life. 

Anyway, in Downton Abbey Season 1 the big drama is that the inheritance is legally tied up with the estate. No matter how hard any of the main characters try to undo what the deceased Lord Grantham did in his will, the grand-daughter can NOT inherit the money. Or the estate. It will all go to some distant relative that none of them knows. 

The will is impenetrable. 

That, ladies, is what we have here. Not some sing song wishes of a dying man, but the WILL of the Creator. The Prince of Peace. Our Messiah, The Savior, The Son of God. 

Impenetrable. Except we try to thwart it by our own free will. 

You are the only one who can deny yourself the enjoyment of the glorious inheritance laid out here in John, Chapter 17.

So what are we talking about? What exactly is this inheritance? 

-Well, joy we mentioned - vs. 13 - the full measure of Christ’s Joy.

-God’s protection by the power of His name - vs. 11

-Sanctification through truth - His word - vs. 17

-Complete unity through and for His glory vs. 20-23

-God’s love and Jesus’ love - vs. 23

-To be with Him and see His glory - vs.24

-To know God the Father - vs. 26

-Jesus Christ in us - vs. 26


Basically a life purpose to bring Him glory while living in unity with our fellow believers in this full measure of Christ’s joy which can NOT be taken from us and which death will only make more complete because at last we will be with the author of it, the creator of us, our Savior and the writer of this IMPENETRABLE WILL - John Chapter 17.

That’s some inheritance you’ve got. 

Now go live up to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment