12.18.2012

Bossing vs. Obeying


It's funny to me that every time I give my kids a joint command, (i.e. Time to wash up for dinner!) my older turns around to tell his little sister what I just said, and then proceeds to make sure she obeys. 

Now, I don't know if it's a first-born thing or just human nature. 

I can't tell you the number of times I've said, "Let me be the Momma, you obey." I appreciate the help at times, and I know that getting him to teach his sister the rule is a good way for him to learn it too.  However,  when I've just said it out loud to both of them at the same time and she has clearly heard just as plainly as he has, it just annoys her and me. 

I realize that I do the same thing - especially when I've just heard a good sermon. Have you had that experience? You are listening to a really convicting sermon or reading a key passage of scripture and you think about three or four OTHER people who should really hear this? And obey it? 

Me too. 

What if WE just obeyed? 

Wouldn't it be a better way for my son to teach his little sister by being a good example and just obeying Mama quickly and with a happy heart when I asked them to do something? 

Wouldn't it be a better way for us to influence those in our circles by being a good example and just obeying God quickly and with a happy heart when He asks us to do something? 

Especially our husbands? 

Without words? 

"Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives." 1Peter 3:1-2 




No comments:

Post a Comment