9.08.2012

The Sure Foundation

My actual table
So, the other day I moved my table and chairs completely out and swept, mopped, scrubbed, etc. And yes, it WAS because I had company coming. :)

The complication comes in when I went to put the table back. I could NOT, for the life of me, get the darned thing level. I scooted it this way, and scooted it that way.  I lined it up right under the chandelier, which is, I'm pretty sure, EXACTLY where it was in the first place. I even tried to pry some Post-it notes under one of the legs to keep it from wobbling. 

It occurred to me that my floor has settled. It's a tile floor (as you can see in the picture) which is great to clean, not great for anything fragile you drop, including little kids, and really not great for settling level. 

Now, I could have gotten radical and chopped off one of the table legs a little. But, instead I coaxed it into a spot where it's very nearly level and used the Post-its to make up the difference. 

It made me think of the foundation upon which I base my decisions, the choices I make about how to live my life and what to do with it. 

Before you start chopping legs off the table, be sure you have a sure foundation.  Don't adjust the table to the floor when it's the floor that's out of whack. 

I know this happens a lot to college kids. They move away from home, and nothing seems level anymore. (and No, I don't mean my own college kid, who is practically perfect in every way)

Here's my best advice. Hold fast to the "sure foundation." And if you've never been introduced to the Sure Foundation . . . . Allow me . . . 

So this is what the Sovereign LORD says:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed." Isaiah 28:16

"For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ." I Corinthians 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment