2.17.2012

Cowering and Faith

Our current shelter dog, Chama
     We adopted a shelter dog several years ago. He was a black lab mix, real kind and nice. However, he had been mistreated, you could tell. Any time we approached him, he cowered and whined, like we were going to harm him.  It took all the fun out of approaching him. We wanted to love him and pet him and play with him, but he made it impossible. We tried and tried for months to get him over it, and finally gave him to some friends who seemed to have better luck with him. 
     Sometimes, I feel myself cowering and whining too. Afraid something bad is going to happen. I can feel myself bracing, internally, for the impact. 
     You see, I forget who holds my future, and to whom I belong. He says: 
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord,"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
    Don't get me wrong. Bad things DO happen. And to good people. I don't know why. When I don't know something about God, I fall back on what I DO know about Him. 
     Here's something He said about Himself: 
And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. " Exodus 34:6
     Does that sound like Someone to cower from? Nope. Let him love on you today. After all, He adopted you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment