2.04.2013

My Christian Band of Brothers


Since my husband has been so good as to watch Downton Abbey with me this season, I've been doing a little payback by watching some Band of Brothers with him. 

I'm pretty sure my target audience and the Band of Brothers target audience doesn't overlap much, so let me just tell you that it is a story of the 101st Airborne during WWII. 

These guys are heroes. Without any doubt.  It's really inspiring. 

The series starts off with them being trained, which lasts the first few episodes, then they get sent to England and then on to their first jump - to help out with the Normandy invasion. 

They all prepare to jump, but something goes horribly wrong. Their planes are attacked as they are trying to jump, some are even shot down.  So to try to avoid being shot, the planes are flying much faster than they should be, but really the only option is to jump or die trying, so they jump anyway. 

No one really ends up where they should be and a lot of their equipment gets literally ripped off their bodies at those high speeds. It's a mess. 

The main character, Lieutenant Winters lands with only his knife as a weapon. No one from the unit he's in charge of lands near him. 

He lands and a couple moments later another soldier from an entirely different company lands near him. At least that guy still has a gun. 

The decision Winters makes is the same decision I'm going to embrace in my Christian walk. He decides to move towards the original objective. 

You see, things go wrong. We get off track. The enemy attacks us and we end up scattered. Separated from people who matter and thrown in with others we barely know. 

But if we will just keep moving in the right direction, things will come together. 

As Winters progresses toward the objective, he meets up with some of the guys from his unit, and then, a little farther on,  some more. It is a happy reunion when they reach the destination. 

Eventually more and more survivors straggle in. Everyone who keeps moving in the right direction ends up back together. 

Sometimes in our lives as Christians, something hits and we go in a different direction from all we know and feel secure about. Maybe we lose a relative or a close friend to death. Maybe they move away. Maybe our church splits. 

But the thing is to keep pressing on.  Head towards God, and your fellow believers will too. Eventually you'll all reach the objective and be together again. 

"Not that I have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  Phillipians 3:12-14 

No comments:

Post a Comment