11.24.2012

Visiting the Burn Unit

My "littles" this Thanksgiving. 

This was a quiet Thanksgiving for us. Just the four of us, and my mother-in-law and father-in-law. (my oldest son was with his Dad's family)

Still, when I read some of my favorite blogs leading up to the holiday, there were all kinds of tips about how to get along with your relatives. All were well intentioned.  Most were well written. Some were even helpful. 

But as I mulled the content of them over while doing other household things to get ready for the big day, it occurred to me that not once had I seen a real missons-oriented view. 

Consider this, what if you were called into a burn unit to visit the sick. Would you go in there seeking to be ministered to? Or to minister? 

I suspect whatever little annoyances you walked in there with would instantly melt away as you faced the gravity of the situation. And I'm certain your gratitude for your own health and safety would bathe whatever wounds you had, and allow you to do the same for those around you. 

Well, guess what? When we visit our relatives, or friends, or really put ourselves into any situations where we are surrounded by people, it IS like visiting the burn unit - in a spiritual sense. 

People all around us are injured, suffering, and simply not safe.  Spiritually speaking, if you know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, you are healthy and safe. 

Now, I know we all sin. And no one, especially not me, is better than anyone else, saved or not. However, we, by grace alone, are saved for eternity if we trust Him. 

And, as a result of that knowledge, our little annoyances should melt away as we face the gravity of the situation. Let our gratitude for our eternal health bathe whatever wounds we have, and allow us to do the same for those around us.

We are to seek to minister, not to be ministered to. To serve, not to be served. To love. 

This would prevent a lot of the "friction" felt at family gatherings during the holidays. 

"When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said,"Feed my lambs." John 21:15

No comments:

Post a Comment